Mark It

“I would consider myself a poet. As to what that means, I think it’s just anybody who’s willing to say up at three o’clock in the morning, writing out some weird thing that’s just like, scratching at the edge of your brain. I think poetry is just being vulnerable and being honest, even if you never intend to share it with anybody. I don't know if there’s a specific definition for what it means to be a poet, but I think’ it’s anybody who’s ever written something down that they were too afraid to share; I think that’s poetry.”  
                                                                           ~ Matthew Brown ~ He/him. Poet, Student | Albuquerque, NM

I want to be more aware of the wisdom and inspiration in artists all around me. I found this quote on the wall of my favorite local coffee shop down here in my hometown. I connect to the spirit of this quote a lot, and I have spent many a moment at 3am feeling like my creativity doesn't "turn off." On the other hand, I feel that maintaining a consistent circadian rhythm is a vital element of caring for the Artist's Vessel of body and mind. I am interested in detangling the conception of the "Artist" from assumptions of lagging personal health, bad habits, dramatic relationships, and overall instability.     


The Dropoff | Portland, OR. In class with Portland Underground Grad School (PUGS)

Comments